I believe one of the biggest benefits from working with a Freelance Web Designer as opposed to a web design agency is you get a real one-to-one, personal touch to the project. Clients feel more involved in the creation and design, and I feel the designer has more reason to produce something amazing – as they add to their portfolio which ultimately gets them the work in the first place.
There is a vast amount of competition out there, so I have put together a few tips which I hope aids you in your decision in choosing the best freelance web designer.
- Go Local – Apart from supporting your local community by choosing a designer in your area, this decision has many other benefits. You can meet up for a coffee to discuss ideas for your start up project, or changes to an initial design supplied by the designer. It also offers a bit of extra security and confidence if you know where the freelancer lives!
- Portfolio is Key – We’ve all got to start somewhere. I understand the need to give young designers a chance who don’t yet have a Portfolio but need someone to give them a break. I’ve also been in this position! The truth is a designer can create a Portfolio without actually being paid for each piece beforehand (just as an artist does). I think if the freelancer cares enough about the career they are aspiring to they need a solid portfolio behind them, and you shouldn’t give them a second glance if they don’t.
- What is their availability? – Freelancers sometimes take too much work on because they are worried about turning work down. Ask your designer to be honest about time scales for your project.
- What’s your budget? – Have a budget in mind before contacting any designers. This helps rule out the designers that don’t fit your finance limit without wasting anyone’s time without reason.
- References – If you’re not sure about your freelance web designer’s portfolio you can always ask for references.
If you’re looking for a freelance web designer, please contact me on 0208 466 8160 or 07790 777 488. I will be more than happy to assist you further and I look forward to hearing from you. If you prefer, you can email me directly at email@example.com.